Monday, August 13, 2012

An Old Dresser...


I recently inherited a plain white dresser that looks exactly like the one on the left in the above picture.  It was destined for the dump.  My father-in-law said take it or I'm hauling it away.  I didn't need it at all,  BUT... I saw an opportunity to try out one of the many project ideas I've seen on Pinterest.  And if it came out horrible, I could still send it to the dump.  :)
Here is what I came up with.  I used scrapbook papers and Modge Podged them into place like wall paper.  Then I replaced the awful U-shaped drawer pulls with some new pulls I found at Hobby Lobby for 50% off.   I wanted to dress it up just a little so I decided to use my Tim Holtz Fourishes die cuts to accent the drawer pulls. 
I didn't  have enough of either of the papers I used, (even though I bought everything on the shelf), so I had to put the teal paper on the top of the dresser and also along the kick-board at the bottom.  The sides are the same as the front. I'm not sure if I like it, but there it is.  I'm trying to decide what to do about the white borders that still show.  Should I leave them be or cover them too?  What do you think?   It's still just a cheap-o dresser, but it will work nicely to store craft items I think.

5 comments:

Sue McMahon said...

I think it's awesome, Michelle. Great job saving this treasure from the dump. If you are planning on leaving the box on top of it, I would pull another color from that box and use that to cover the edges - decorative paper, acrylic paint, tiny shells ;) ...any of them would really be a great addition to your project. Looks like a great dresser to store craft supplies in. *wink* *wink* You could add words to the center area of each drawer to label what's in them: PUNCHES, PAPER, BLING, etc.

Nikki said...

Wow you've been busy I'd paint the edges out a darker colour so they don't pop out so much but looks good for crafty goodness to hide in :)

Carol Hurlock said...

Well look at you....I LOVE IT. How creative and a very cool piece to own. It's your favorite color too Michelle. I think it would be awesome to hold your craft supplies. Well done!

kiwimeskreations said...

WOW what a transformation!! Love it - maybe use the turquoise to paint the white.........
Blessings
Maxine

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

An original by YOU - very creative.