Saturday, September 18, 2010

I LOVE Green Chili!!!





I don't believe there is any better indicator that Fall has arrived, than the delicious aroma of roasting Green Chili that fills the air in all of New Mexico each year. :)

I usually buy a big bag of green chili at the Farmer's Market and have it roasted right there on site in their big outdoor roasters, and then bring it home to peel, dice and freeze. But, my sweet neighbor that shared his tomatoes with me last weekend also brought a bunch of his green chili to me as well. So this time I roasted it myself. (Never done that before).

It's very easy though. You simply wash the chilies and then put them onto a cookie sheet and broil them on all sides until the skins are blackened as you see in the above picture. (This loosens the skins).

Then you wrapped them up in some damp towels for about 15 minutes to let them steam.

Once the chilies have cooled enough to touch, you simply peel the skins from the pods, remove most of the seeds and dice them up. Then you can put them into freezer bags in portions that work for your family and freeze them. I made smaller portions this time, because this batch is a HOT one.

Now, that this yummy project is completed, I can get back to the CRAFT PROJECT I've been working on. I hope to have it finished in the next day or so to share with you.

"Life is too short, grudges are a waste of perfect happiness. Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change. Love deeply and forgive quickly. Take chances, give everything. Have no regrets. Life is too short to be unhappy." unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics and details! Do you have any recipes to go with it...I've never used chilis in my meals. BTW, love the quote at the end...so true!