Thursday, September 16, 2010

Homemade Tomatoe Soups... Sauces... etc.

Step 1. Get out your Handy Dandy Tomato Press and Stock Pot.
Step 2. Prepare your work area.
Step 3. Wash tomatoes and then put them into boiling water.
Step 4. When the skins of the tomatoes split open, remove from boiling water.
Step 5. Put tomatoes into the tomato press and turn the handle. The tomato pulp and juices go into the large container, while the skins and seeds fall into the cup under the side area.
Step 6. Let all eager kids help with this part. :) Once all of your tomatoes are pressed you can follow your favorite recipes and make soups, sauces, and even ketchup.

I've never made ketchup yet, but I love to make soups and sauces. When you have an abundance of home grown tomatoes and are the only one in the house that likes them fresh, (I know, what a bummer) then a tomato press comes in very handy. I usually grow Roma Tomatoes, but didn't get to it this year. However, my elderly neighbor had tons from his garden this year and shared with me this past weekend. So, I was able to get out my tomato press this year after all. :)

2 comments:

Sue McMahon said...

Hey, you are using your pretty pots hubby gave you..was it for Christmas? Love those pretty pots! And your tomato press you almost talked me into buying one like it last year when I had tooooo many tomatoes. Look at all that yummy sauce! You are going to get me all fired up about canning again. :) I've eaten about 25 fresh cherry tomatoes today. I walk past and grab...walk past and grab. :) I would have more but my dog, Madison goes in the garden and picks the ripe ones off ever so carefully with her front teeth. How does she know to eat the red ones??? Anyway, what a wonderful neighbor you have to share his abundance with you. You are lucky to have such a nice neighbor! :) Enjoy your tomatoes!

Carolyn said...

Ohhhh, delicious!!! I LOVE home grown tomatoes,and we did get a few this year, but I would have loved to have many more. Wish I lived near you so we could share ;)
You have a wonderful and generous neighbor. Mine would never make it to the tomatoe press though. I could eat them plain all day long. Love your great pics though. Thank you for sharing, and enjoy.